Share this story:
The National University of Sciences & Technology (NUST) launched its think tank, the NUST Institute of Policy Studies, on April 3, 2019. NUST is the leading institution of higher learning in Pakistan and a key player in the comprehensive process of nation-building with a mission of contributing to national progress through quality knowledge production, innovative policy research, conduct of knowledge diplomacy, and multi-level knowledge collaboration.
Building on NUST’s vision, the think tank becomes a hub of knowledge-based pursuits to provide original, evidence based, scientific, and multidimensional research, and integrate the university’s research, advocacy, teaching, and training in the areas such as governance, economy, socioeconomic development, international relations, security, geopolitics, energy, water, environment, CPEC, science parks, knowledge economy, and innovation.
The in-depth research at the Institute centers on the following objectives:
- Advocacy and policy intervention
- Identification of projects for socioeconomic development
- Promotion of academia-industry linkages, including high end strategic R&D
- Provision of knowledge-based inputs for the development of NUST projects, such as the science and technology Park
- Multi-tiered collaboration through national and global partnerships
- Issue and project-based publications
The NUST Institute of Policy Studies seeks to benefit from the seasoned insights of a distinguished community of experts on board that comprises eminent academics, policymakers, statesmen, and civil society mavens. In line with best practices of the top global university-affiliated think tanks, the Institute also focuses on generating new talent and introducing a diverse range of creative minds. It aims to capture various trends and transformations at domestic and international levels, and provide well-articulated and rigorous analyses to generate a fresh thought process and viable policy solutions.
- NIPS will address the following research areas:
- Economy, Governance, and Socioeconomic Development
- IR, Geopolitics, and Security
- CPEC and Belt and Road Initiative (BRI)
- Water, Energy, and Environment
- Knowledge Parks and Science Parks
Research at NIPS, among other things, focuses on exploring and leveraging the potential of 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development for integrating the local, domestic, regional, and global levels of development. Collaborative inquiry and action with respect to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at NIPS is considered as a powerful means of promoting peace, prosperity, and high-quality growth.